Friday 15 April 2011

The love of a good dress

Two weeks ago, it happened.  There i was walking down the street, minding my own business when bam it hit me.  Like a bolt from the blue.  There it was, the one i had always wanted.  The dress of my dreams.  A bombshell of a dress.  Mid-lenght in a 60's style reminiscent of Marilyn Monroe and Joan Halloway from Mad men.  The strawberry print on navy blue jersey was georgeous.  I had to try it on...
Slipping it on, it fit like a glove.  The only problem, the price.  A cool 250 euro is more than i live on in a week!  Reluctantly, i put it back on the rail and stepped away from the dress.

The next day at work, i sorrowfully rehashed the story of the dress that was not to be.  "Why don't you pay for the dress in installments, a lot of boutiques are offering that option these days" suggested a recessionista of the highest order.  Mmm.  maybe that would work.

The following day i returned to the shop to plead my case.  Armed with a friend i sauntered up to the counter and requested the dress in my size.  Sorry we just sold that particular dress a few minutes ago.  No i thought it can't be.  I tried a similar dress on but it wasn't the same.  Would i ever get the dress of my dreams...

Luckily for me i made a note of the web address of the company who make the dress.  That evening, i googled the company name.  Finding the company, i e-mailed them enquiring about the possibility of buying
the dress in my size.  Yes they replied.  Yipee! The internet holds the key to all.

Meanwhile, my recessionista friend kindly facebooked me a link to a vintage site http://www.pinupgirlboutique.com/.  Fabulous clothes and highly addictive.

Did i get the dress in the end?  Sadly not.  After a brief flirtation where we exchanged information on colour, size, price, payment options, postage, the correspondence ceased suddenly.  Im not sure if it was something i said. There i was ready to commit to this dress, to hand over my hard earned cash, then nada...

So how does this story end, am i destined to trawl vintage websites for eternity constantly in search of the one?  Hopefully not,  There is a vintage fair this sunday in Dun laoghaire.  Who knows what i might find...
http://stylebible.ie/Events+Listings/_Vintage%20Fashion%20and%20Decore%20Fair.htm

2 comments:

  1. Hope you get the dress you're looking for Ger. And at a good price (The low price is half the fun of vintage!)

    ReplyDelete